A small scripting mistake and joining a tilde communityPlaying around with a static site generator I found out a mistake that messed up my Markdown experience, and I did not even noticed until now while trying to build a website on tilde.cafe!
📅 29 Jun 2021 📝 488 words ⌚ ~1 min.
🏷️ foss | coding | linux |
Up until now I have been using Neovim to write my blog posts, and it has been working wonderfully, as far as I could tell. However, something got my attention recently.
I have been playing around with
blop, a static site generator written in bash that uses pandoc, sed and other simple utilities to generate a blog. I have decided to give it a chance in a new site I got because I joined a tilde pubnix.
What even is a pubnix or a tilde you might ask? Well, its kinda like a shared computer where you can log into using SSH. There are a lot of communities like that and you can checkout some of them by visiting the Tildeverse website.
Tildeverse Main Page
I decided to join to
tilde.cafe. I got accepted a few days after I made my request, and it has been a great experience so far.
Coming back to the mistake I mentioned before, neovim offers some neat syntax highlighting by default, and I enjoy to have it not only for Markdown but most other programming and markup languages that I use every now and then.
But Markdown was not working somehow, and I did not know why, it was kinda working, but headers were showing up as if they were comments, with a gray coloring since I use the Nord color scheme, which made them harder to read.
But I just thought I had some weird plugin and I never really tried to fix it, since the rest of things worked as intended for the most part.
It was not until I used
blop to with my current posts that I noticed that most of them were not working. There is some simple templating, and only the header and footer showed up without any of the content. I spent a lot of time messing around with the metadata on top of it, which is kinda different from Jekyll. Like this:
--- author: Me title: Title summary: A summary date: YY-MM-DD HH:MM ---
But there is something that is not noticeable at all, an extra space at the end of the last dash, which came from my good old rofi script, that has a line like this:
echo -e "# Previous metadata ... \n--- ">> $path/$filename.md
And as you can see, that little space in the end was messing it all up. The
sed command used in the bash script was not finding the last
"---" and it just went through the whole blog. After removing all of those spaces, everything started to work as intended, and now I have a new website, which is a mirror of this one, using my tilde.cafe domain, and you can visit it here!
My new tilde.cafe website
This is day 46 of #100DaysToOffload
If you don't wanna leave a comment, you can contact me ✉️ instead